Abide in Christ
Col 3:3-4 For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.
Col 3:3 is the best description of 'Abide in Christ'. We have died (crucified with Christ) to the world, and our new lives are hidden with Christ making Him our new Master, for we have willingly surrendered ourselves (living sacrifice) to His complete control (led by the Spirit).
Gal 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
In order to abide in Christ, we must be like Him. A few examples:-
- Be Holy: 1Pet 1:15 but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct;
- Cease from Sin: 1Pet 4:1 Therefore, since Christ suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same mind, for he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin;
- Cease from doing own will: 1Pet 4:3 For we have spent enough of our past lifetime in doing the will of the Gentiles—when we walked in lewdness, lusts, drunkenness, revelries, drinking parties, and abominable idolatries;
- Partake in Christ's sufferings: 1Pet 4:12-13 Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you; but rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ’s sufferings, that when His glory is revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy;
- Full of Grace and Truth: John 1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth;
- Full with Wisdom: Jam 3:17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy;
- A living Sacrifice: Rom 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.
My words abide in you
John 8:31-32 Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, *“If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth*, and the truth shall make you free.”
The word of God is truth, and it is only when we abide in His word, then we will know the truth.
John 14:15-17a;16:13 “If you love Me, keep My commandments. And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that *He may abide with you forever—the Spirit of truth*... However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.
When we love Jesus by keeping His commands and words, then God will give us the Spirit of truth (His word) to abide with us forever.
When we love God and are transformed into His image, we abide in Him, and when He gives us the Spirit of truth, His words abide in us and then whatever we ask of Him, He will grant us.
Brethren, we thank our loving Father for His excellent and wonderful promise that whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight. (1John 3:22)