This twelve disciples were with Jesus all this while, and this was His last sermon to them after the last supper (John 13).
John 13:1-2a Now before the Feast of the Passover, when Jesus knew that His hour had come that He should depart from this world to the Father, having loved His own who were in the world, He loved them to the end. And supper being ended...
Who are His disciples
- Abide in His words: John 8:31 Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed." It is only when we spend time reading and meditating on His words that we can understand Him. Then we can begin to trust and obey Him and His words.
- Do the will of the Father: Mat 12:49 And He stretched out His hand toward His disciples and said, “Here are My mother and My brothers! For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother.” It is the will of God that we must obey and not man's will nor worldly wisdom.
- Wash another's feet: John 13:14-15 "If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you." If we can wash a brother's foot, we have love enough to help him through his problems and difficult.
- Love another as Jesus loved us: John 13:34-35 "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” Jesus loved us by dying for us and we need to love one another as He had loved us.
- Bear much fruit: John 15:8 "By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples." All disciples of Jesus must be transformed into His image and bearing fruit of the Holy Spirit.
- Hate all who prevents us: Luke 14:26 “If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple." Our Lord told us to honour our parents and it is only when they prevent us from following Jesus that we have to hate their blindness caused by their faithlessness in God and their lack of knowledge and understanding of His words. But we still respect and love all of them.
- Bear his own Cross: Luke 14:27 "And whoever does not bear his cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple." Our Lord went to the cross to redeem us for God and we need to bear our cross so that mankind too can be redeemed to God through Christ Jesus.
- Forsake All: Luke 14:33 "So likewise, whoever of you does not forsake all that he has cannot be My disciple." All Jesus's disciples have given up everything to follow Him. Mat 19:27 Then Peter answered and said to Him, “See, we have left all and followed You. Therefore what shall we have?”
Brethren, Jesus' disciple, Apostle Paul will be crowned a king in heaven with our Lord Jesus as the King of kings. _For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing. (2Tim 4:6-8)